Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Crosstraining

Yesterday was a crosstraining day for me, according to the schedule. I really was a little unsure what I wanted to do. I took a 3 mile power walk at lunchtime, and then went to the gym after work and did a 30 minute (6.5 mile) bike ride on the stationary bike. I really hate the bike, but I know that its a good crosstraining exercise to work on my quads to try and balance them out with the workout that the hamstrings are getting from the running. I was going to do some weights last night, but in all honesty, I just plain forgot about it! All night I kept thinking that there was something I needed to do, and couldn't remember what it was. It wasn't until I was going to bed that I remembered that I had wanted to do some upper body strength training. Oh well. I did, however, read up on crosstraining. I already knew the benefits, but my issue was deciding what is the best crosstraining to do in order to improve my running. Looks like it doesn't really matter in the end, but the bike and strength training seem to be my best options, so I'll be doing those most of the time for the crosstraining, as well as occassional walking (just because I like taking walks!).

This morning was another 4 a.m. run. The temps were around 65 degrees. I'm glad I got the run in, as there is an air quality alert out for today, which means with my asthma that it wouldn't be good to be out running today! The temps should hit 90. Yet another reason to not run later in the day. Anyhow, it was a 3 mile run.

I have another 3 mile run scheduled for tomorrow and then the group 6 mile run on saturday. I'm actually dreading the saturday drive. I don't love this idea of driving clear across town to go running. But I'll give it a try. Especially for these shorter runs. I can see where I might want to do it for the real long runs, but to drive 35 minutes to do a 6 mile run? Hmmm...seems kind of silly.

Running Stats: 4 a.m. run. 38 minutes, 3.2 miles. Avg HR 148 (84%). 332 calories burned. Temp was around 65 degrees. I felt good for this run. Plenty of energy.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment