Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday August 14th - I Still Remain Hopeful!

So I had the echocardiogram on Wednesday afternoon. That went well, I suppose. The sonographer talked and talked and talked. I really just wanted to lay there quietly and watch the screen. Anyhow, when it was all said and done, she told me that they would probably call me with the results by the end of the week (although its friday now and I"ve not heard a thing). I didn't really expect to hear anything. I figured that they would tell me what the results were of the echo when I meet with the other cardiologist next wednesday morning.

Anyhow, she then said "I can tell you this. I'm not running to go get the doctor". Basically, in my opinion, indicating that there was nothing seriously wrong going on. Then she said "I think I know what the problem is", so I asked her what she thought. She said she thinks I have something called supraventricular tachycardia. Pretty much an arythmia of the heart where the heart rate spikes up and comes back down again. Not much different than what I thought was going on.

She also hooked me up with an event monitor. I did a short run of about 1.75 to 2 miles after I left there, and did a few recordings. But I could tell then that I seemed to be improving, because I was able to run for a couple of minutes without being out of breath. Unlike last week where I was only able to run for about 30 seconds. Then Thursday I had about 5 or 6 episodes of the shortness of breath and heart palps. But today? Things are good. I've not made a single recording on the monitor.

Also, my primary doc's nurse called me yesterday. She said that they had gotten in the test results from the blood work and my thyroid levels WERE elevated, and both my doctor and the cardiologist want me to stay off the thyroid meds. Well, then I was pretty much right I think! I suspected that the thyroid meds were the cause of all of this. It was all just too coincidental that the shortness of breath and heart palpatations started just days after the thyroid meds were increased.

Anyhow, I did a four mile run yesterday and it was great. I did 4:1 intervals the whole time, and twice i did 9:1. Incredible! I felt like a million bucks afterwards. The only thing is that my HR was way high when I was running. It was in the high 170's and low 180's, which is still way higher than usual. I don't know what is up with that.

I'm scheduled for the Columbus half marathon on sunday. Even though I feel like i could run it, I'm walking it. That's following the doctors orders, and besides, I'm a little afraid of running it when my HR is still so elevated, even though the breathing seems to be better. Better safe than sorry. But i'm keeping my fingers crossed that next wednesday I will get the green light to resume my training and can do the next scheduled long run which is 15 miles.

So the plan is:
Tonight - one hour of strength training
Tomorrow - Day of rest
Sunday - half marathon
Monday - ST and short walk or run
Tuesday - six mile run/walk
Wednesday - ST
And anything after that is dependent upon what the doc says.

I forgot to mention that I've been doing great getting in three days of ST a week. Love the feeling of getting stronger again! I've really missed the weight training and I'm glad I"ve got it back in the schedule and I'm already feeling the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment