Monday, August 24, 2009

15 Mile Run - 8/22/09

Saturday was my 15 mile run, the longest I've run yet! Kathy and I met up and started our run early, around 6:30 a.m. before the group run. I'm SO glad that we did that, as we were able to get six miles out of the way before the group run. We ran the other 9 miles with Eric Frueth from the Columbus Running Company.

We have been SO lucky, because the temps were GREAT on saturday. It was only in the low 60's when we started out and I'd guess it was only around 70 when we finished. It took us 3 hours and 4 minutes to do the 15 minutes.

Surprisingly enough, I felt really good afterwards. I mean, I was tired when we got to 15 miles and I was glad it was over, but I COULD have gone on a bit more, especially if I took more frequent or longer walk breaks.

When I got home, I did the ice bath thing. I'm REALLY glad I did because I think it made a big difference. I had no leg soreness at all. And I didn't even feel drained...until about 3-4 hours later. And then I laid down and figured I would take a nap, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't sleep. But I laid in bed, and just rested, and I think that helped a lot too. Because as the evening wore on, I didn't feel tired at all. In fact, Jeff and I got home around midnight after meeting up with Kathy and her friends, and I STILL wasn't feeling tired. It was so strange. However, on sunday afternoon, it hit me and all at once I was totally exhausted. In fact, at 6 o'clock I looked at the clock to see how much longer it was before I could go to bed and when I saw I still had a few hours, I didn't know if I would make it!

I was supposed to do a full body strength training yesterday, but didn't. We had too much going on, as we went to my sisters to celebrate my dad's birthday, and then to the dedication and open house for the new high school. By the time we got home, it was late afternoon and I was spent.

Today I'm scheduled to do a six mile run, but I'm thinking I might make it my 7 mile run for the week to get it out of the way. The temps are still really nice, so I may try to do it outside. I have to take the boys to school when I get off work to meet their teachers, and then I'm going to go do the run.

My plan is to make tomorrow a full body strength training day. I'm thinking as my mileage increases, I may only be able to get in two full body ST a week instead of three. We'll see. Two is better than nothing.

I've not been journaling my food. I just need a break from doing it. I'll probably go back to it in a week or so, but I just want to not think about it for awhile.

Anyhow, that's the update. This weeks plan is looking like this, but of course, is subject to change!

Monday: 7 mile run
Tuesday: FB strength training
Wednesday: Rest or six mile run
Thursday: 6 mile run or ST
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: The Spirit of Columbus half marathon

Oh, and I forgot to mention the half marathon. We signed up last night. I'm doing this instead of the 16 mile run I'm scheduled for because Kathy won't be around to run with me, and nobody in the running group runs as slow as I do. So instead of doing all those miles by myself, I figured I'd do the half. Jeff is doing it with me. I'm a little nervous about this one, but for one reason only. They have a time limit on it. YIKES! I realize that keeping a 15 minute mile isn't all that hard, but Jeff wants to do 3:2 intervals, so not sure where that will place us time wise. And I don't want to push him to do 4:1's because I think that might be too much, especially since he hasn't really trained enough to do a half. Anyhow, the pressure is on! At least the course is pretty much downhill!

No comments:

Post a Comment