Monday, September 14, 2009

The 18 Mile Run

Kathy and I did our 18 mile run on friday afternoon. Well, a couple things to say about it. It was getting really tough near the end. I honestly feel there were a couple of things that really made it tougher than the 17 miles we ran the previous weekend. First, I'm so freaking tired at the end of the work week, run or not. I knew running at the end of the week after working all day and getting up at 5 a.m. everyday, was going to be tough. I've gotten accustomed to running after a good nights sleep and in the morning when I'm refreshed.

Also, it was 80 degrees out. When I am used to running in the 60's, that's a HUGE difference. Also, I think we started out too fast. When we are running that far, we have GOT to slow down. Our pace was a 10:00 - 10:30 pace for a good amount of the run toward the first half. My garmin had our overall pace down to a 13:20 or something like that, but we did a lot of walking in the last few miles. I don't really care about the average pace. I just want to get through the marathon and cross the finish line, but I don't want to be one of those people that are barely coherent when I do! Anyhow, I know what the issues were, and I know I will have better runs. But overall, its wasn't bad.

I went home and did an ice bath. I used an entire bag of ice, and sat in the bath for 25 minutes. I SWEAR that helped. I really didn't feel bad. IN fact, on the drive home, my knees were so achy that all I could think about was submerging them in ice water, and god, it felt great! I'm seriously starting to love those baths!

I didn't feel too bad the next day either. In fact, I felt a little better than I did after the 17 mile run, so I'm thinking that the long ice bath, as well as the ibuprofin regime I'm doing, totally helped.

Looks like we may do the next long run, 16 miles, this friday afternoon too. Its supposed to be cooler out which will help. I'm just happy to get the run over with. This week I have a four mile run to do, which I will do today, and a seven mile, which I may do tomorrow. Wow, those seem like a walk in the park! only 7 miles? I feel like I'm in heaven! lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment