Monday, September 28, 2009

20 mile run

Kathy and I did our 20 mile race today. It was set up for people training for the marathon, and what was great was that the course was laid out, water and gatorade provided, and of course, we get a medal and a shirt for being in it.
I got up at 4:30 a.m. to get there. While getting ready, I could still hear the rain. UGH. It seemed to let up by the time I got there, but after waiting in the bathroom lines in the building we had access to, just before the race started at 7, it started to downpour. They told us that they were starting at 7 a.m. no matter what. So at 7 a.m. we all ran to the start line. It rained for, gosh, the first 11-15 miles or so? hard to remember. My feet were soaked. My shorts were soaked. It was not fun.
However, in spite of that, it was one of the best runs I've ever had. Kathy too! Our pace was great! For 20 miles, we came in at under four hours. Our finish time was 3:54! Awesome! And honestly, we felt really good afterwards! This totally gave us the confidence to know we can push through another six miles with the marathon! I took an ice bath, but a short one, because I was soaked through when I got home, and chilled to the bone already. I also really didn't feel the need for the ice bath, but figured it would do me good anyway. I'm a little tired, but not really sore or anything. But for some reason, when I do long runs, it hits me two days later, not the day of the run or even the next day.
Anyhow, now begins the taper. I only have a six mile run, a seven mile run and a 16 mile run this week. The runs only get shorter from here on out! Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment